September 26, 2014
Tomorrow I turn 50 years old. In honor of such a milestone, I have created a list of fifty things I have learned through the years, and how they have shaped me into the person I am today.
- One of life’s objective is to be able to communicate. I have learned to articulate my thoughts.
- It is always better to be sympathetic. I’m not quite there yet, I tend to be acrimonious.
- In order for others to believe something about you, you must believe it yourself. I am beautiful.
- No one likes to be bossed around. Unfortunately, I haven’t quite stopped being bossy, yet.
- There is always more than one way to solve a problem. Being creative has saved me more than once.
- Subtle is sometimes best. Again, not quite. I am dramatic…Oh, woe is me!
- Stay away from danger. The longer I live, the more I have to accept that my personality lends itself to being dangerous. No, I will not expound on that!
- Relax. Now this one isn’t even close to hitting home with me. I am edgy, without a doubt.
- You can reach more people if you have a wide-range of interests. That I am eclectic helps me reach most of my students.
- Courage will take you places you never dreamed you could go. It’s true, and I am thankful that I am feisty enough to get to those places.
- Remember the little things about people, they will be pleased. I try so hard with this one. Unfortunately, I am most forgetful these days.
- Forgive others. I have been blest with a forgiving spirit. Yes, I have been tested. And yes, I have passed.
- No matter how much or how little, always be thankful for what you have. I am, indeed grateful for what God has bestowed on me, and for that which I have earned.
- What you give is likely to come back to you. I am generous with all that I have and with all that is within me.
- Happiness is a choice that comes from within. Boy, this one sure took a long time to embrace However, I can now say with conviction that I am happy!
- What you give is likely to come back to you. Yes, this is a repeat of #13, but I haven’t fully accepted this, yet. I am hurtful to a large extent.
- Always be able to depend on yourself. I learned this one a little too well. I am one of the most independent people I know.
- Do not squander away your God-given talents. I am intelligent, and I put it to good use.
- Be patient. Unfortunately, I am intolerant of people who do squander their God-given talents.
- Do not judge, lest ye shall be judged. I’m trying, I’m trying. I can be judgmental, even though I know I will be judged.
- Always keep the spirit of innocence within you. Ha! Not even close to this one. I am jaded. There are things I just cannot pretend I haven’t seen.
- The more you know, the better to solve your problems. I am knowledgeable about a lot of things because I’ve had to work my way out of a lot of problems.
- Treat others the way you would like to be treated. I am kind-hearted. I often pray that others will treat me the same.
- No man is an island. I know I need the socialization of others, and I am getting better. However, I am a natural loner and everyday I fight the urge to drop out of society.
- When making decisions, it is best to put emotion aside. Even though I am dramatic, I am logical. I have never given the answer, “Because I said so.” Ask me a question and I will always have a very logical explanation for you.
That is the first half of my list, dear Readers. I figure 25 of anything about a person is enough for one day. However, seeing my character traits (flaws) in writing sure doesn’t make me want to list the other 25. But, I was the one who started this journey and I’m anything but a quitter. God willing, I will be back tomorrow. Peace, ~v.